Dr. Erene Soliman's Psychological Practice
About the Practice
For more information please call or email Dr. Erene Soliman, Psy.D.
F: (559) 449-2733
Optimize your brain, create your life
What is neurofeedback?
Think of your brain as a race car, capable of incredible performance. Now imagine a driver behind the wheel who does not know how to properly shift gears. It is for this reason that people find their brains encumbered by problems.
Brainwave training teaches the brain to work at its fullest capacity, to switch gears as needed for the task at hand.
What is the best way to learn?
Experience and feedback.
Other common feedback loops include:
- Mirrors- Looking in the mirror gives us all sorts of visual feedback, which inspires action. Behaviors are directly related to areas of focus. You may get a new haircut or brush your teeth.
- Video Playback- Recording a golf or tennis swing gives athletes visual feedback on how they can fine tune their technique.
- Audience- Comedians use live audiences to give them audio feedback on whether their material is funny.
- Gravity- We all use kinesthetic feedback from gravity to develop new neural connections to learn how to walk or ride a bike.
- In the case of EEG biofeedback, software gives visual and audio feedback to provide an experience to the brain of enhanced function, specifically to improve its regulation of thoughts, feelings and focus. As with everything we learn, a beneficial lesson makes a lasting impression.
How may Neurofeedback help me?
Since the brain is the master regulator, most people will enjoy benefits from neurofeedback depending on their objectives. The most common applications for it are:
- Increase Energy
- Test Anxiety
- Brain Injury
How many sessions do I need?
Generally people notice improvements within the first 5-8 sessions. For longer lasting and often permanent results 20-30 sessions are recommended.
What is a session like?
Step 1: Your provider will ask you 90 questions to come up with an individualized protocol.
Step 2: Sensors will be put on your ears and scalp. Nothing goes into your brain. Sensors only pick up electrical activity coming from your brain.
Step 3: Watch morphing fractal images created from your brain activity and be mindful of the graphs for 25-30 minutes.
How can watching pictures change my brain?
Your brain is not your mind. It is an organ that processes substantially more information than your mind could handle. For example, it is your brain that regulates an increase in heart rate during physical activity. Would your mind know how to do that? Even though your mind wants to understand and even participate in your EEG Biofeedback session, it is your brain that we are training.
Who is a good candidate?
Are you not getting the full results from medication or don’t like the side effects? Can you visualize what you want out of life, but consistently get deralied from netative self-talk, anxiety or fear? Do you wake up with negative feelings in the mornings? Do you or your child habe problems with focus and impulsivity? Did you ever suffer from a concussion? Would you like a more restful night of sleep? Are you willing to commit to 2 sessions per week for the first 5-10 weeks?
Everyone is unique and so is your brain. Everyone of your thoughts and feelings creates a unique signal that manipulates the images on the screen. As your brain creates new images it is given information on how it operates, which in turn teaches the organ how to function more efficiently.